Tour de Romandie
The Tour de Romandie is a six day stage race in the French speaking Romandie region of Switzerland used by all the Tour de France favorites as a key early season race.
Our Tour de Romandie weekend is a perfect short cycling break where you can watch your heroes and ride stages of the Tour de Romandie on the very same day!
Tour de Romandie Holiday Highlights
- Wednesday 24th April to Sunday 28th April 2013
- 5 days riding and 4 nights full board accommodation
- Ride the course before the pros and watch the action live
- Famous climbs: Col des Mosses (1,445m), Col du Pillon (1,546m) and Col de la Croix (1,778m)
Tour de Romandie
In 2012 SwissRetreat guests watched Mark Cavendish led the peloton over our local Col des Mosses and saw Bradley Wiggins win the Tour de Romandie in the Crans-Montana time trial. Team Sky targeted the Tour de Romandie as a key race to win before their historic victory in the Tour de France.
In 2011 Cadel Evans also did the Tour de Romandie and Tour de France double and in 2013 all the Tour de France favourtites will be in Switzerland as Team Sky’s Bradley Wiggins looks to defend his Romandie title. For more about the race and 2013 route news check out our Tour de Romandie guide. Romandie showcases some of the the best cycling routes in Switzerland that feature on many of our cycling holidays in Switzerland.
Tour de Romandie Holiday Itinerary
Wednesday – Bike Set up and Welcome Ride
After the short transfer from Geneva airport we’ll have lunch before setting up the bikes and setting out on a shake down ride to slowly introduce you to riding in the mountains!
A 45km tour from Les Diablerets (1,160m) to the Lac de l’Hongrin dam (1,255m) will allow you to get used to cycling at altitude in the Alps. The profile of today’s ride is selected to provide a range of gradients and climb lengths, however the stunning mountain views are consistent throughout!
Thursday – Col du Pillon and Col des Mosses
A stunning 60km loop of the mountains including climbing Col du Pillon (1,546m) and Col des Mosses (1,445m) in a tour that cruises through the charming Alpine villages of Gstaad, Château-d’Oex and Les Mosses.
Friday – Tour de Lac Léman and wine tasting
Today we’ll descend down into the Rhône Valley for an 80-100km tour along the shores of Lac Léman to the UNESCO World Heritage Lavaux vineyards.
Our tour will finish with a wine tasting in a vineyard where you’ll be able to buy local wines to take home. We will be taking the historic mountain train back up to Les Diablerets so you can taste as much local wine as you like!
Saturday – Tour de Romandie Queen Stage – Les Diablerets
Saturday is the Queen Stage of the Tour de Romandie – the toughest day of cycling featuring a mountain finish in our home resort of Les Diablerets. Any General Classification riders who are behind the time trial favorites will be looking to attack on this massive day in the mountains.
We will ride a section of the course ahead of the peloton in the morning and be roadside to watch the action unfold as the Tour de Romandie is decided in the final mountain stage.
Sunday – Tour de Romandie Stage 6 – Geneva
In the morning we’ll have our final ride in the mountains before packing up the bikes and heading to Geneva to watch the final stage.
The 2013 Tour de Romandie finishes in Geneva and we’ll be there to watch the winner go over the finishing line before the short transfer to Geneva Airport for your flight home.
Tour de Romandie Package Highlights
- Cost: CHF 1,195
- 5 days riding
- Cycle guiding and vehicle support
- Nutritional bars and gels on the road
- Cycling training plan to get you fit
- Watch at least two stages of the Tour de Romandie live
- Wine tasting in a historic vineyard
- 4 nights full board accommodation in a boutique hotel
- Nutritious all you can eat healthy breakfast
- Post ride lunch designed for cyclists on the hotel terrace with mountain views
- Local Swiss wine served with your evening meal
- Luxury boutique hotel in a traditional Swiss mountain resort
- Private transfers from Geneva airport
- Coffee stops out on the road
- Wine bought at the wine tasting