Cyclotour du Leman 2013
The Cyclotour du Leman is a cycling sportive event in Switzerland with a choice of three distances, including the full 180km cycle around Lake Geneva.
The Cyclotour du Leman takes cyclists on a beautiful route around Lake Geneva (Lac Léman locally) that winds through vineyards and apple orchards against a backdrop of a shimmering lake and towering mountains.
It must be amongst the most beautiful cycling events in the world as you’ll see from the pictures on our 2012 Cyclotour du Leman report.
Cyclotour du Leman Event Details
- Date: Sunday 26th May 2013
- Distances: 180km, 110km or 60km
- Cyclists: 2000+ cyclists take part annually
- Established since: 2013 will be the 10th edition of the Cyclotour du Léman
- Start: Lausanne, Switzerland (180km), Evian-les-Bains, France (110km) and Geneva, Switzerland (60km)
- Finish: Lausanne, Switzerland
- Nearest Airport: Geneva International Airport
- Accommodation: SwissRetreat’s Tour du Lac Léman holiday includes the Cyclotour du Léman
Cyclotour du Leman Course Preview
Choose From Three Sportive Distances
The Cyclotour du Leman is great if you are looking for a group cycling holiday with cyclists of different levels of fitness and experience as there are three distances to choose from ranging from the 180km Tour du Lac to the 60km ride from Geneva to Lausanne through the La Côte wine region.
Lausanne to Lausanne – 180km Tour du Lac
The full 180km cycle around lake Geneva from Lausanne to Lausanne, known as the “Tour du Lac” locally, departs from the Pierre-de-Coubertin Stadium in Lausanne near to the lake front home of the International Olympic Committee.
At 180km the route is long enough to make it a great sportive challenge whilst at the same time the modest elevation profile means that Cyclotour du Léman is a perfect early season sportive if you are training for sportive such as La Marmotte or L’Etape du Tour.
Evian to Lausanne – 110km Cycling Through France and Switzerland
The 110km route from Evian-les-Bains in France, home of the eponymous mineral water, takes cyclists through both France and Switzerland and is a beautiful way to discover the region.
Most people start in Lausanne and catch the ferry across Lac Léman to Evian (referred to locally as just Evian normally) with boats leaving between 06:45 and 07:30. After a stunning ferry ride across Lac Léman with views of Mont Blanc and the Portes de Soleil ski region cyclists arrive in Evian to set off on the Cyclotour du Leman.
Geneva to Lausanne – 60km ride along La Côte
For cyclists looking for a shorter sportive challenge the route from Geneva to Lausanne along La Côte features endless vineyards and apple orchards in this famous wine growing region of Switzerland.
After leaving the Vengeron beach in Geneva with its views of the famous Jet d’Eau water fountain, the route quickly leaves Geneva behind and follows the coastal road along the lake to Lausanne.
Cyclotour du Leman Entry Cost
The entry cost will be released shortly for 2013. Entry ranged between 60 Swiss Francs (CHF) and 85CHF in 2013 and is unlikely change much. The entry fee includes the following:
- Official race shirt
- One way boat transfer
- Water and food stations on the course
- medical and mechanical support
- Changing rooms, showers and massage
- Pasta Party in the the Pierre-de-Coubertin Stadium in Lausanne
Training for the Cyclotour du Leman
Sportive Training Tips
- Make training dates with friends to help you stick to the plan
- Practice how you will eat and drink before race day during a weekend long ride
- Training with a club or a group of friends will help develop your group riding technique
Useful websites for the Cyclotour du Leman
You’ll find these websites useful if you’d like to take part in the Cyclotour du Léman sportive:
- Cyclotour du Leman official website: Cyclotour du Leman
- Route preview on YouTube: Cyclotour du Leman route preview
- SwissRetreat’s Tour du Lac Léman holiday
Tour du Lac Léman Holiday
If you would like to combine the Cyclotour du Léman with a cycling holiday then check out SwissRetreat’s Tour du Lac Léman holiday that includes 5 days riding and 4 nights full board accommodation.
Photo credit: Cyclotour du Leman